When the West Coast was wild
Visit the West Coast Fossil Park close to Langebaan, Western Cape, South Africa. See the fossils of bears, sabre-tooth cats, short-necked giraffes and the many other exotic animals which inhabited the west coast area some 5 million years ago.
Saturday, Sunday & public holidays:
- Opening times vary according to season.
(You are advised to phone or email ahead of your visit).
- Christmas Day, New Year's Day & Good Friday.
- There is no entrance fee charged for registered tour guides and accredited press representatives.
- Children under 5 years of age are free.
- Please phone for other fees.
Travel back in time 5 million years ago...
The fossil site of Langebaanweg is located in the West Coast Fossil Park, approximately 150 km north of Cape Town and is world-renowned for its exceptionally well-preserved fossil faunal remains that date to about 5.2 million years ago. Read more…
We know that nature is red in tooth and claw, but how exactly did the different fossil carnivores found at the Fossil Park hunt and kill their prey? Read more...
Things To Do
We offer a variety of intellectual, physical and gastronomic activities! Read more…